Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Questions
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related
    Community
      Offtopic
      News
    Hardware
    Photography



Maxunderground news unavailable

Problems with mirror function
show user profile  vikki sixx
Hi all ....

I am busy editing my envelopes in my model and while using the biped object, I would like to be able to edit (for example) the envelopes on my right foot and then copy that over to my left foot. I use the mirror function and then select "copy green to blue bones" and also "copy green to blue vertices", and it tends to work for every bone except the feet - any reason why ?

The feet look terrible - envelopes end up ok, but the vertices affected by the envelope are all wrong.

Is this the best way to copy envelopes and vertices from your left side to your right side ?

Thanks
Vic
read 502 times
2/4/2009 3:13:59 AM (last edit: 2/4/2009 3:13:59 AM)
show user profile  markoid
I have never got that to work properly... if only the feet didn't work, you are lucky!
To get good assignments you really need to work at vertex level anyway, much more accurate than envelopes.



read 497 times
2/4/2009 3:28:25 AM (last edit: 2/4/2009 3:28:25 AM)
show user profile  vikki sixx
I do work at vertex level ... but how do I get the left foot to behave like the right foot, without going through the pain of editing EACH of the two feet (which are identical) - is there not a copy-paste type scenario that can be used?
read 492 times
2/4/2009 3:32:46 AM (last edit: 2/4/2009 3:32:46 AM)
show user profile  Dave
"is there not a copy-paste type scenario that can be used?"

Yes, unfortunately it's the mirror option that you're already using. I absolutely detest rigging in Max. It has to be the one of their least updated, or even looked at features. Many people have released scripts to aid the process along though, try doing a google search, I'm certain that someone would have scripted in a better way to mirror the weightings.

"I flew over Egypt once"

read 488 times
2/4/2009 3:37:58 AM (last edit: 2/4/2009 3:37:58 AM)
show user profile  donvella
I was showed a great way of skinning rigs back in uni. Im sure everyone has their own way however this may help. (yes, these guys are right, your LUCKY most of the skinning is mirrored lol).

In this example we will use a 3 bone structure for the chest. Grab the waist, apply 100% weight to it, then move to the 1st bone above that, apply every vertex above that to 75% (leaves you with 25% between the waist and first bone). Then move to the 2nd bone above that, apply 50% to every vertex above that point. (this leaves you with 25% for between the waist and 1st, 50% between 1st and 2nd). then apply a 25% to all vertex above the 2nd bone, so your head, arms, shoulders etc should be all 25%. By doing this you create a blend effect between each bone throughout your hirearchy. Its almost like skinning in reverse, takes a bit to get used to however works a treat.

Once you get to the finger tips, head, toes etc (ON ONE SIDE OF THE BODY) you should have an average blend between ALL bones going from 25, 50, 75, 100. Most of the time only the finger tips, toes and head should receive 100. From this you can tinker the vertexes you need without worring about some vertexes in the waist, foot or some strange area to move with your 'pinky finger' lets say.

I have noticed using this method i get the least resistance from the mirror technique.

Good luck.

Regards



read 478 times
2/4/2009 4:05:03 AM (last edit: 2/4/2009 4:05:03 AM)
show user profile  Jollabollathan
The mirror tool DOES work, it's just overly sensitive. I've had times where I couldn't get it to co-operate at all, and others where it copied pretty much everything perfectly, and these were the times when I was extremely careful to make sure my model was at zero co-ordinates and the mirrored rig exactly centered too.

To be honest it does seem to be largely a crapshoot, though.

read 469 times
2/4/2009 4:52:29 AM (last edit: 2/4/2009 4:52:29 AM)
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window


Support Maxforums.org