Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Questions
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related
    Community
      Offtopic
      News
    Hardware
    Photography



Maxunderground news unavailable

 
First page  Go to the previous page   [01]  [02]  [03]  [04]  [05]  Go to the next page  Last page
 
Intel Xeon E5-2630 v3 vs E5-1650 v3 ?
show user profile  FX
Seems too close to call, but can anyone tell which of these is the best for Max / Vray and rendering ?

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5-2630-v3-vs-Intel-Xeon-E5-1650-v3


E5-2630-v3 = £561.59

E5-1650-v3 = £495.59

2 of them are going on on a Z10PE-D8.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus-z10pe-d8-ws-2x-s2011-v3-eeb-intel-c612-vga-plus-u3-plus-2gln-sata6gb-s-ddr4-in


nitpicking ? I'm leaning towards the E5-2630-v3 purely for number of buckets.
read 728 times
4/29/2016 1:51:06 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 1:52:11 PM)
show user profile  Sir_Manfred
Wouldn't the octa core one give you more buckets than the hexa core?



Visit my Portfolio
http://www.Freds3D.com

read 725 times
4/29/2016 1:59:13 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 1:59:13 PM)
show user profile  Sir_Manfred
I guess it's a case of quantity vs quality.



Visit my Portfolio
http://www.Freds3D.com

read 723 times
4/29/2016 2:00:06 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 2:00:06 PM)
show user profile  Sir_Manfred
I think the hexa core one gives more bang for the buck, price-wise



Visit my Portfolio
http://www.Freds3D.com

read 722 times
4/29/2016 2:01:21 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 2:01:21 PM)
show user profile  FX
"Wouldn't the octa core one give you more buckets than the hexa core?"

yeah albeit at a lower speed, that's why I asked,

octa = 32 threads

hexa = 24 threads.

..decisions decisions. :/
read 716 times
4/29/2016 2:12:52 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 2:12:52 PM)
show user profile  9krausec
OR.... wait like my for v4 to be released in a month or two..

I was about to order my super computer (because apparently I think it's smart to spend most of my savings on a workstation), when I saw that v4 is on it's way. It should of been released Q4 of last year but got pushed to Q1 of this year.

14nm Lithography.... so the 2x 2687W v3 I was going to get had 10 cores at 3.1 ghz and the v4, for 100-200 dollars more a pop has 12 cores at 3 ghz. Same socket type too I believe.

So in my case waiting another month makes sense as I'll be gaining a total of 4 physical cores extra for 200-400 dollars which is worth it in my mind.

I don't know how applicable the above was to your situation, but if I ordered the v3 and a month later the v4 came out as a tock by intel, I would be kicking myself in the butt.

edit: The tray version of the v4 is already out.. the boxed version usually comes soon after. I wouldn't trust the tray version though. Intel says there isn't really a difference but the tray version has a 1 year warranty and the box usually has a 3... dropping that sort of money I'm not willing to take any risks.




- Portfolio-




read 710 times
4/29/2016 3:16:22 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 3:22:28 PM)
show user profile  FX
I didn't realize the V4's were already here, what you say makes total sense.

I've finally landed an inhouse job doing product renders, I get paid what I ask (within reason) :), every penny is getting churned into a monster build before anything else.

Quick Google and I found them at Scan:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-xeon-e5-2630-v4-s-2011-3-broadwell-ep-10-core-22ghz-31ghz-turbo-20mb-40-lane-80gt-s-qpi-85w-re

20 quid more for 2 extra cores...lol, thanks dude I would have been gutted if I'd gone for the V3's.

I hope they'll be ok with the Z10PE-D8., can't see why not.

read 701 times
4/29/2016 3:49:37 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 3:49:37 PM)
show user profile  9krausec
No problem. If you are going through a new build look into Maxwell vs Pascal... The CFO suggests it'll be 10x faster than Maxwell. I don't know if that's the reality of the situation or when exactly they are planning to release.

I figure I'd wait for v4 Xeons to come out and proceed. If Pascal cards come out and they are that damn good then I'll just swap out cards (expensive way of working as I'm going to be getting a Titan X for my build... But I personally can't afford to wait 6 months for the new tech to come out... CPUs being the exception and only for a month or two at that).





- Portfolio-




read 697 times
4/29/2016 3:53:49 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 3:53:49 PM)
show user profile  FX
I'm going with a Titan X as well, if the Pascal cards are £20 more than the Titan I'm in too :)

Depends on what the pascal cards cost, I don't think I could wait 6 months, I can't afford a massive price jump and I need some new clothes.



read 694 times
4/29/2016 4:02:30 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 4:02:30 PM)
show user profile  9krausec
We are in the same boat there. One additional thing I want to point out about the CPUs you're looking at (v3 or v4 - doesn't matter) is your clock speed. 2.3ghz.

I've discussed this over with Redstar when he went through his build (dual xeons as well) and it was suggested in our conversation that he noticed a hit in performance due to the lower clock. I think he has ~2.3ghz clock as well.

That's something to strongly consider if this is going to be a workstation and not just a render box. There are still a lot of single threaded operations that we have to deal with in our software and you might want to consider a quicker clock.

I know we are not made of money here so it might be out of budget, but something to consider. I'm going a bit overboard with my build, but if you can swing hexcores with faster clock you might be happy you did so in the long run. I've never ran a computer with below 3.2ghz (never had a xeon workstation though either).

It all comes down to price. 3D is all I do these days and I figure I can get my money back within 2 years (at most) via additional freelance. That's how I justify it in my mind anyway, hah.

Edit: Also I have sort of a warped mindset that I try to go full throttle on anything I do. Build a computer, I'm going to build a fucking beast. Lifting/running, I'm going to do it til I vomit all over the person next to me. Probably not very healthy or sustainable, but it's how I operate.







- Portfolio-




read 689 times
4/29/2016 4:11:09 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 4:14:08 PM)
show user profile  FX
Catch 22, I need a beast to work on, I think I'd rather take the financial hit on upgrading in the future than wait, I could sell the 2.3ghtz and put the money towards some 3.4's, right now they are way out of my price range, priority is Vray and render times.

Putting mine in a Cosmos II :)

read 675 times
4/29/2016 4:37:31 PM (last edit: 4/29/2016 4:40:45 PM)
show user profile  FX
I'm going to hang fire with this build, Someone put V4's on a V3 mo-bo and fried them :

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2932438/fried-4000-xeon-2696-cores-threads.html


this makes me nervous :/, although he used an x99 mo-bo with a CPU that isn't released yet.


Specs say the V4's are compatible with the C610 series chipset, the Z10PE-D8 is C612.


Need to do a bit more reading before committing, I'm still getting the Cosmos II, going to put it on a corner and stroke it from time to time.




read 656 times
4/30/2016 9:05:59 AM (last edit: 4/30/2016 9:05:59 AM)
show user profile  9krausec
@FX - Keep us (me) updating on what you find in regards to the v4. I'll update this thread when I notice the boxed version is out or if I find any interesting information on the subject.

Who are you purchasing through? Newegg?




- Portfolio-




read 617 times
5/3/2016 2:50:19 PM (last edit: 5/3/2016 2:50:19 PM)
show user profile  FX
No, Scan, but I'm waiting for more info on them, particularly mo-bo compatibility, gonna give it maybe another month and use Rebus in the meantime.

As I'm not a tech head, I like the reassurance of someone who knows what they are talking about giving me the info, preferably on a YouTube vid covering any issues/bios/settings etc.




read 614 times
5/3/2016 2:59:43 PM (last edit: 5/3/2016 2:59:43 PM)
show user profile  9krausec
Sounds solid. Well post any applicable information here. If Asus doesn't support v4 I might need to go with MSI or someone else...

I'm not a "tech-head" really either. Was only concerned about the 2011-v3 socket type support. Now that I think of it, does the "v3" correlate with the processor? So will there be a 2011-v4?




- Portfolio-




read 612 times
5/3/2016 3:04:21 PM (last edit: 5/3/2016 3:04:21 PM)
 
First page  Go to the previous page   [01]  [02]  [03]  [04]  [05]  Go to the next page  Last page
 
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window


Support Maxforums.org