Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Questions
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related
    Community
      Offtopic
      News
    Hardware
    Photography


Featured Threads
  inspiration alert!!!
(36 replies)
  Indespensible MaxScripts, Plugins and 3rd Party Tools
(37 replies)
  The allmighty FREE Resources Thread !
(17 replies)
  spam alert!!!
(4886 replies)
  Maxforums member photo gallery index
(114 replies)
  Maxforums Member Tutorials
(89 replies)
  three cheers to maxforums...
(240 replies)
  101 Things you didnt know in Max...
(198 replies)
  A Face tutorial from MDB101 :D
(95 replies)
  Maxforums.org Members Gallery
(516 replies)
  SON OF POST YOURSELF
(637 replies)
  Dub's Maxscript Tutorial Index
(119 replies)

Maxunderground news unavailable

Important tip in rendering!
show user profile  cbflex
Hey guys,

As some of you have seen, I've been working on this scene http://maxforums.org/threads/nyc_street_traffic/0001.aspx

I had come across a huge problem during it. Rendering this image at a sampling rate of 1/4 - 4 in HD with 33 lights and mental ray shadow maps on, was literally taking me 9.5 hours per frame. It's a 1000 frame animation. Disregarding how large the animation is, the render time would be probably 6 months or more or something like that... just very long.
I ran many tests and I couldn't figure out what the problem is. I still can't figure it out, but I found another symptom, and the way to fix it, and I want to share it with you all incase some of you get this crazy problem.
My other symptom was that for some reason when I turn on scanline render with shadows on simple, it automatically turned off and auto volume turned on. And everytime i start the render, no matter how many times I change it back, it always by itself did that. When I ran another instance of max with just a teapot scene, it didn't do it. I then proceeded by setting everything I can in the render window to be exactly like the new teapot scene and the problems still occured.
I have no idea why this happened and why my render times were through the roof. I rebooted max and my computer and nothing worked. I began losing hope.
My very last attempt was simply to just load up the default rendering preset of mental ray with gi enabled. I loaded it up, and to my everlasting joy, scanline did not get disabled by itself, and the render speed was at 1 hour and 40 minutes per frame. Still a long time, but cmon, I shortened the time by like 70% or something just by reloading a preset.
So incase you all get this crazy shit which really pissed me off, bitch smack your computer and load the preset... worked for me :)
Happy Animating!
read 290 times
6/28/2010 4:56:53 PM (last edit: 6/28/2010 4:56:53 PM)
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window


Support Maxforums.org