Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related

Maxunderground news unavailable

how would i go about modeling something like this?
show user profile  jbx37
hi, i'm trying to model something similar to these sculptures and am unsure of where to start besides with a basic box. what modifiers would work well to achieve this effect? i have used 3ds max in the past but its been a few years. any help would be appreciated esp step by steps. thanks in advanced

read 439 times
10/14/2011 1:45:02 AM (last edit: 10/14/2011 1:45:02 AM)
show user profile  del3d
nice render ;)

editable poly.
Start with a box with similar dimensions to the sculpture. Set your height segments to 15 or so for starters, convert to editable poly and go into sub-object level vertex and move them vertices around until you get a satisfying shape. You will need to use the cut and connect tools quite a bit to get those bent/distorted edges in place. When you're done with the general shape you will need to chamfer edges that you want to be sharper and apply a smoothing modifier (turbo or meshsmooth, whatever works better), set your iterations to 2 or 3, see what it looks like and go back to your sub-object levels to make necessary adjustments. Looks like a fun modelling exercise.

Here's a vid I found on youtube that will explain basic poly modelling tools:

read 419 times
10/14/2011 4:44:35 AM (last edit: 10/14/2011 4:44:35 AM)
show user profile  jbx37
thanks for the reply. yeah thats kinda how i started, by making the box to match the dimensions of the sculpture and then started playing with the segments and twist modifier. looks like im going in the right direction. just wanted to make sure, thanks again
read 406 times
10/14/2011 7:17:44 AM (last edit: 10/14/2011 7:17:44 AM)
show user profile  khamski
The main thing there is a meshsmooth control.
You gotta model it properly so meshsmooth can lay on it in a right way.
Making it smooth and real but not distorting the shape.

So is that pic a photo? Or a cg design?

read 402 times
10/14/2011 9:16:41 AM (last edit: 10/14/2011 9:18:05 AM)
show user profile  jbx37
this is a picture. the artists name is Ewerdt Hilgemann and most of his sculptures have this implosion effect. he does it by somehow manipulating atmospheric pressure creating a vacuum inside the metal box so that it crushes and folds itself
read 364 times
10/14/2011 4:58:21 PM (last edit: 10/14/2011 4:58:21 PM)
show user profile  khamski
Yeah i saw some videos where people collapsed metal tanks like that.

read 338 times
10/14/2011 8:25:11 PM (last edit: 10/14/2011 8:26:02 PM)
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window