Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related

Featured Threads
  inspiration alert!!!
(37 replies)
  Indespensible MaxScripts, Plugins and 3rd Party Tools
(37 replies)
  The allmighty FREE Resources Thread !
(17 replies)
  spam alert!!!
(4886 replies)
  Maxforums member photo gallery index
(114 replies)
  Maxforums Member Tutorials
(89 replies)
  three cheers to maxforums...
(240 replies)
  101 Things you didnt know in Max...
(198 replies)
  A Face tutorial from MDB101 :D
(95 replies) Members Gallery
(516 replies)
(637 replies)
  Dub's Maxscript Tutorial Index
(119 replies)

Maxunderground news unavailable

First page  Go to the previous page   [01]  [02]  Go to the next page  Last page
How is glass chamfered?
show user profile  zeefusion
1,2, 3 or none of the examples? Are there other types of chamfers?

read 2972 times
6/7/2011 7:12:26 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 7:12:42 PM)
show user profile  BLoSk
Depends on how the glass is made I suppose, or maybe I'm not understanding your question.
I have seen glass plates with rounded edges like the last one, but also with angled edges like the first 2 (even though I would still chamfer the edges a bit with the first 2 cubes, as they are probably doing that with real life glass objects too because if they don't it's probably as sharp as a knife.)
What about rendering it out with a glass mat and see how it looks.


read 2957 times
6/7/2011 8:13:18 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 8:13:18 PM)
show user profile  zeefusion
I'm creating some glass objects and they need to have chamfered edges. I just wondered if there was a common type of chamfer
read 2946 times
6/7/2011 8:25:03 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 8:25:03 PM)
show user profile  LionDebt
I've never seen glass like 3 unless it's got a sort of plastic lacquer or coating on the edges. My understanding is that the edges of glass are always extremely sharp. I would say 1 is your best bet.
read 2939 times
6/7/2011 8:32:18 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 11:17:33 PM)
show user profile  mike_renouf
I think that technically speaking option 3 is "filleted" or "radiused". Glass is usually chamfered like option 1 as far as I am aware, but I can't find any diagrams or images on google to confirm.

read 2931 times
6/7/2011 8:43:01 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 8:43:01 PM)
show user profile  gogodr
the thick glass table at my dinning room is like 1.

Hello there

beautiful ;3

read 2923 times
6/7/2011 8:54:59 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 8:54:59 PM)
show user profile  Dub.

read 2911 times
6/7/2011 9:21:48 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 9:21:48 PM)
show user profile  zeefusion
Thanks guys :) Is it ever 2? is 2 an actual type of chamfer?
read 2907 times
6/7/2011 9:46:08 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 9:46:24 PM)
show user profile  Mashedpot8er
number 1 would be a natural corner chamfer that forms when the edges are ground. Number 2 would require an extra bit of work. I assume you could have it like 3 if you wanted, but it would be more expensive.

Cad Monkey

read 2901 times
6/7/2011 9:53:45 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 9:53:45 PM)
show user profile  owtdor
It all depends on what you are talking about. For glass shelves I quite often see edges that have been softened by use of a flame to make the edge less likely to hurt anything.

read 2880 times
6/7/2011 11:05:22 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 11:05:22 PM)
show user profile  Nik Clark
I've seen one and three.

read 2876 times
6/7/2011 11:06:39 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 11:06:39 PM)
show user profile  STRAT
Most definitely 1


read 2872 times
6/7/2011 11:13:25 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 11:13:25 PM)
show user profile  owtdor


read 2858 times
6/7/2011 11:48:57 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 11:50:58 PM)
show user profile  Nik Clark
^ win

read 2855 times
6/7/2011 11:58:32 PM (last edit: 6/7/2011 11:58:32 PM)
show user profile  zeefusion
Where did you find that? I searched for ages for an image showing various chamfers :/

Awesome find!
read 2845 times
6/8/2011 12:27:19 AM (last edit: 6/8/2011 12:28:03 AM)
First page  Go to the previous page   [01]  [02]  Go to the next page  Last page
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window