Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related

Featured Threads
  inspiration alert!!!
(37 replies)
  Indespensible MaxScripts, Plugins and 3rd Party Tools
(37 replies)
  The allmighty FREE Resources Thread !
(17 replies)
  spam alert!!!
(4886 replies)
  Maxforums member photo gallery index
(114 replies)
  Maxforums Member Tutorials
(89 replies)
  three cheers to maxforums...
(240 replies)
  101 Things you didnt know in Max...
(198 replies)
  A Face tutorial from MDB101 :D
(95 replies) Members Gallery
(516 replies)
(637 replies)
  Dub's Maxscript Tutorial Index
(119 replies)

Maxunderground news unavailable

FBX export help
show user profile  Vdubs
I am having difficulty exporting my file to an FBX.

(See images in link)

For some reason the coins in the model look good in the viewport, active shade, and render panel. However, when I export the file to .FBX and open it again in 3ds Max or some other program the coins do not have the same appears.

What could be the cause of this?
read 434 times
5/4/2013 2:10:54 AM (last edit: 5/4/2013 2:10:54 AM)
show user profile  LionDebt
Yar, there be dubloons, me mateys!
read 431 times
5/4/2013 2:16:47 AM (last edit: 5/4/2013 2:16:47 AM)
show user profile  blackmariah
Is it made by Autodesk? If so, do not expect it to work.
read 418 times
5/4/2013 6:12:41 AM (last edit: 5/4/2013 6:12:41 AM)
show user profile  herfst1
Try collada. Or get open collada plugin. Had less issues with that.

Also, simple fix, dunno why it works, read it somewhere, add an edit poly modifier at the top of your stack for the objects you want to export.

[edit] let me know if it works for you. Haven't tried it, pretty curious... but not curious enough to be bothered testing it myself.
read 410 times
5/4/2013 8:04:42 AM (last edit: 5/4/2013 8:31:45 AM)
show user profile  Vdubs
Yes, I made it in Autodesk 3ds max. Even when opening the FBX with Autodesk 3ds Max, the coin material gets all funky.

Adding an edit poly modifier didn't work. =(

I found a fix though. I was using the same bitmap for both the chest coin plane and the 3D coins, with just different material edits on both. So I created a new and separate .bmp for the 3D coins and cropped out all the extra. It works, but I feel like I just did a run around instead of finding a real solution.

Thanks for the help!
read 402 times
5/4/2013 6:20:58 PM (last edit: 5/4/2013 6:20:58 PM)
show user profile  Vdubs

Those are indeed dubloons.
read 401 times
5/4/2013 6:21:34 PM (last edit: 5/4/2013 6:21:34 PM)
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window