Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Questions
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related
    Community
      Offtopic
      News
    Hardware
    Photography



Maxunderground news unavailable

Displacement map trouble
show user profile  ravihara
Hi guys, I use zb4R4

My problem is about 'faced' artifacts on displacement maps.
here is the workflow i followed to create my tool :

1. I created this mesh inside zbrush using both dynamesh and standered sculpting methods
2. Used qremesher on the elements (teeth and gum separately)
3. Subdivided the new topologies and Projected the details on to them (teeth and gum separately)
4. Stepped to the highest subdivision level and merged visible subtools to created a single subtool with all the elements
5. Stepped to the lowest subdivision level and exported it to 3dsmax as an obj
6. unwrapped uvs using 3dsmax uv tools
7. exported the unwrapped model as obj
8. loaded the tool i created in step 4 (using merge visible) and stepped down to the lowes level.
9. with that tool selected at the tool pallet, pressed import and selected the unwrapped obj model that was exported with max.
(as i know zbrush automatically assigns the new uvs to the tool from the unwrapped obj)
10. then lastly asked zbrush to generate displacement maps

but unfortunately this is what it generates :

As you can see the displacement map is a mess, with 'faced' artifacts all over.
I tried tweaking all the settings, with adaptive mode on and increasing subpixel accuracy bla bla bla.., but same result all the time.

And this is how its shown on the zbrush viewport :
with displacement : on
with displacement mode : on

Can anyone tell me what maybe going wrong?
I also tried importing the unwrapped model as a separate tool and copy and pasting uv set using uv master. but same result.


read 427 times
4/22/2014 10:52:30 AM (last edit: 4/22/2014 3:11:48 PM)
show user profile  K-tonne
try using just uvmaster to unwrap without going to max at all (you'll get very similar results) as i suspect that you have a uv error somewhere- possibly an inverted island, an overlap or something that goes out of the 0,0 boundry- although i can't see anything obvious in your maps

Website and Portfolio

read 399 times
4/22/2014 5:31:49 PM (last edit: 4/22/2014 5:31:49 PM)
show user profile  herfst1
Another thing to try:

1. Go to your highest subdivision and set a new morph target.
2. Go to your lowest subdivision and displace.

Not sure if it'll work better or not (as I don't use displacement maps, nor generate anything in zbrush, I use xnormal) but I seem to remember seeing that step in one tutorial.

[edit] and double-check that it's all one smoothing group in max.

[edit] and get zbrush 4R6, it's worth it just for zremesher alone (and free).
read 386 times
4/23/2014 2:14:57 AM (last edit: 4/23/2014 5:04:55 AM)
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window


Support Maxforums.org