Forum Groups
  All forums
    Help & Feedback
      Work in progress
      Finished Art
      Non-Max related

Maxunderground news unavailable

Ambiguous polygons
show user profile  Yarnbox

Can somebody please tell me what the complex faces that max generates to fill in an arbitrary hole are called?

That is, if I fill in an arbitrary hole in my mesh, and it's not really discrete polygons, but just this grey area that kind of shifts around, and that I have to manually cut to make it coherent.

I can't figure out what it's called.

I'm trying to find a script or plugin or something to automatically fix these areas- I have a lot of them, and it takes forever by hand.
It doesn't matter to me exactly how they're resolved, as long as they're changed into proper polygons.

If you know what they're called, that would help a lot in a search.
Better yet, if you have an idea of what kind of script or plugin I could use to fix them, that would be even better.

Thank you!
read 376 times
5/2/2013 11:46:30 AM (last edit: 5/2/2013 11:46:30 AM)
show user profile  Nik Clark
>>Can somebody please tell me what the complex faces that max generates to fill in an arbitrary hole are called

Do you mean the "cap holes" function?

read 367 times
5/2/2013 11:55:15 AM (last edit: 5/2/2013 11:55:15 AM)
show user profile  LionDebt
It's called an nGon. Or, any polygon with greater than 4 sides (ie. not a Triangle or a Quadrangle).

If you create 'good topology', ie. plan ahead for where you want holes to be. You can create good edge flow by chamfering a vertex with 8 connections (therefore creating an 8-sided hole that easily translates into quads).

Search ScriptSpot for "RappaTools3".

edit: However, your problem is more fundamental if your modelling is creating a lot of these areas...
read 362 times
5/2/2013 12:09:35 PM (last edit: 5/2/2013 12:21:29 PM)
show user profile  herfst1
read 360 times
5/2/2013 12:09:47 PM (last edit: 5/2/2013 12:09:47 PM)
show user profile  Yarnbox
Thank you guys, so much!

"cap holes" as a search term got me where I needed to go. It more or less fixed the problem.

nGon, thanks! I'll remember that.

RappaTools3 looks amazing! I'll look into it some more. That looks like it could solve a lot of my problems (I'm editing pre-existing bloxel data which is being chopped apart- hard to explain).

Thanks again!

read 344 times
5/2/2013 2:56:45 PM (last edit: 5/2/2013 2:56:45 PM)
show user profile  advance-software
ngons are n sided polys so that includes quads & tris.

usually anyhow. some apps may use different terminology.

edit: I stand corrected. your definition is more common, but slang terminology anyhow.

they're planar convex polygons.
read 337 times
5/2/2013 3:00:57 PM (last edit: 5/2/2013 9:41:03 PM)
show user profile  jStins
N-gons always refer to 5+ sided faces when talking about mesh topology / modeling technique.


read 307 times
5/2/2013 9:32:14 PM (last edit: 5/2/2013 9:32:14 PM)
#Maxforums IRC
Open chat window